Colleen Hefner, M.Ed.
I have a bachelors degree in medical anthropology from Penn State University. Since then I have been
involved in various fields of biomedical research including cardiology, hematology, and also liver disease.
I also taught high school biology for one year before moving to California.
||Research Associate/Lab Manager
|In Lab Since:
- M. Liao, M.K. Pabarcus, Y. Wang, C. Hefner, D.A Maltby, K.F. Medzihradszky, S.P. Salas-Castillo, J. Yan, J.J. Maher, M.A. Correia.
Impaired dexamethasone-mediated induction of tryptophan 2,3-dioxygenase in heme-deficient rat hepatocytes:
translational control by a hepatic eIF2alpha kinase, the heme-regulated inhibitor. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2007; Dec;323(3):979-89.
- Faouzi S, Medzihradszky KF, Hefner C, Maher JJ, Correia MA. Characterization of the physiological turnover of native and inactivated
cytochromes P450 3A in cultured rat hepatocytes: a role for the cytosolic AAA ATPase p97? Biochemistry. 2007 Jul 3;46(26):7793-803.
- Tam BY, Wei K, Rudge JS, Hoffman J, Holash J, Park SK, Yuan J, Hefner C, Chartier C, Lee JS, Jiang S, Niyak NR, Kuypers FA, Ma L, Sundram U,
Wu G, Garcia JA, Schrier SL, Maher JJ, Johnson RS, Yancopoulos GD, Mulligan RC, Kuo CJ. VEGF modulates erythropoiesis through regulation of adult
hepatic erythropoietin synthesis. Nat Med. 2006 Jul;12(7):793-800.
- Weisser-Thomas J, Kubo H, Hefner CA, Gaughan JP, McGowan BS, Ross R, Meyer M, Dillmann W, Houser SR. The Na+/Ca2+ exchanger/SR Ca2+
ATPase transport capacity regulates the contractility of normal and hypertrophied feline ventricular myocytes. J Card Fail. 2005 Jun;11(5):380-7.
- Han XM, Lee G, Hefner C, Maher JJ, Correia MA. Heme-reversible impairment of CYP2B1/2 induction in heme-depleted rat hepatocytes
in primary culture: translational control by a hepatic alpha-subunit of the eukaryotic initiation factor kinase? J Pharmacol Exp Ther.
- Hefner C. Who is the nurse? Am J Nurs. 2004 Sep;104(9):16.
- Gaughan JP, Furukawa S, Jeevanandam V, Hefner CA, Kubo H, Margulies KB, McGowan BS, Mattiello JA, Dipla K,
Piacentino V 3rd, Li S, Houser SR. Sodium/calcium exchange contributes to contraction and relaxation in failed human ventricular myocytes.
Am J Physiol. 1999 Aug;277(2 Pt 2):H714-24.
- Gaughan JP, Hefner CA, Houser SR. Electrophysiological properties of neonatal rat ventricular myocytes with alpha1-adrenergic-induced hypertrophy.
Am J Physiol. 1998 Aug;275(2 Pt 2):H577-90.
- Libonati JR, Gaughan JP, Hefner CA, Gow A, Paolone AM, Houser SR. Reduced ischemia and reperfusion injury following exercise training.
Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1997 Apr;29(4):509-16.
- Yanagihara R, Hefner C, Ajdukiewicz AB. Human T-lymphotropic virus type I infection among blood donors in the Solomon Islands.
Transfusion. 1992 Jan;32(1):89.
Last modified: August 20 2011